Friday, April 3, 2015

Jose Rizal


Rizal is the national hero of the Philippines who influenced people in the 1870s onwards. He believed the pen is mightier than the sword. In today's times, the keyboard is mightier than guns. Rizal fought the corrupted Spanish friars with his novels and died in doing so. His close friend and historian Ferdinand Blumentritt says that Rizal's women can also be counted by the number of the languages Rizal spoke. Thats about 26 if I remember my history class. But what if its just a smoke bomb, you know, just to up his pedigree. I have been to Rizal's home which was restored and maintained by the historical commission. We were supposed to live there in Calamba, Laguna and study at the Letran college. We were discouraged because of the bullets we saw on the subdivision we were looking at. I also studied in schools in Intramuros, a place where Rizal was imprisoned. Okay okay I am no Rizal, far from him. Just saying my connection with him. Call me a fan I guess. There's this story about Rizal I am fond of. It goes that Rizal was on a steamship and one of his slippers slid off to the waters while he was at the railings. He took off his remaining slipper and throw it in the waters. When asked about it, Rizal said that maybe a fisherman can find the couple of slippers so it can be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment