Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Guard Talk

So I've been malling today and not much I can tell you because the only interaction I have is a small talk with a lady guard. Cause I was sitting on the stairs when she called me that its against the law. The VIPs pass that way so I shouldn't be blocking the way. So I said what if a VIP sits there. No way a VIP sits there, she says. I told her I sat there. She asks me if am VIP. I did not answer to give her the benefit of the doubt.

So I seen her again going around, so I ask Ma'am what's the logbook for? She says its for listing the important activities for the day. I did not press on. Why are you doing the rounds? Who checks on you? There are many CCTV's around the mall. Okay at this point, I quit the questioning.

One time I asked the guard in Luneta, How many are you guards in here? He says around 25. He asks me You applying for a guard position? I usually get that remark. Do I look like a security guard? Perhaps its the black safety shoes and/or the black pants that I usually wear. It gets irritating at times. Another one is the Pacquiao reference, its the beard and sometimes I let my mustache grow. But come on man, is every bearded or mustached filipino is Pacquiao? Crazy.

You know I've always been comfortable with guards cause I grow up with them as teammates in bowling tournaments. And in my line of work, the guard is important to me because of the logbook. Yes I actually know what they put in there. The coming in and out of people visiting the site, the check-in of vehicles and delivery reports. And they are reliable with these reports. The two people you trust in the site is the guard and the warehouseman because that is your team.

Actually some guards earn more than engineers because of the hazard pay. Thats the one with shotguns and armalites and accompanies the guys with the money bag in the armored vans. The next would be the on-site guards and the least I would think are the ones in the malls. Because they seldom have clashes with criminal elements and the worse would be the thieves who uses hammers in looting from jewelry stores.

I think the best prevention to deter this gang and other types is to put a dragnet on the perimeter. Like a tripwire. You put up like a wall with few entrances so this is where you conduct thorough inspection. Unlike the situation in malls today, there are many points of attack. I can bring in a hammer in there and the guards wouldn't know of it. Ask me how, I wouldn't tell you. Hehehe.

So I remember the time I was in a bank in Malaysia, you never would have guessed it. There is no security guard in the bank! Yes I scanned the crowd several times. Later a bumblebee went in the open door and went zigzagging across the room until it finds the fixed glass window and repeatedly tries to get through it. So what I did was get a plastic bag and catch with it the bee against the glass. I throw it out of the bank. I was expecting a slow clap from people or at least a little nod of appreciation but nothing. I was deeply disappointed.

Actually I'm just kidding. The mall is well-guarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment